We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Teiú: a very common reptile in Brazil
What is it - biological definition
Teiú is a reptile belonging to the Teiidae family (scaly reptiles, with elongated body and developed limbs). Teiú is a popular name for several species of reptiles in the genus. Jerusalem artichokes. The web is a very common animal in Brazil.
Key data and characteristics:
- Region where they are found: South America.
- Habitat: In Brazil, mainly in the Atlantic Forest, the Cerrado and the Pantanal.
- Habit: daytime
- Food: are omnivores and feed on vegetables, eggs, meat of dead animals, fruits, rodents, arthropods and other small vertebrates.
- Length: between 1 meter and 2 meters.
- They have a round and long tail. They often use their tails to attack other animals (defense system).
- Most common colors: black with white or yellow spots or streaks. There are also species of reddish (dark) color and others with dark green color. The puppies are greenish in color.
- Head shape: pointed and long.
- Tongue: Long, forked (have two ends) and pink.
- Mouth: Presence of pointed teeth and strong jaw.
Examples of teiús species:
- Common Teiu
- Colombian Teiu
Popularly, teiús are also known in Brazil by the following names: teju, jacuaru, lagartiu and tegu.